Traveling to Scotland
I left Olin at 3pm; Joles gave Kate B. and I rides to Logan. On the flight to Amsterdam, I watched Ray and The Phantom of the Opera, so I only ended up getting about 2 hours of sleep during the trip…(the previous night’s sleep was 2 x 3 hour blocks of time). This made staying awake in Amsterdam a bit of a chore since I had a 4 hour layover, but you live you learn. I finished Taliesin by Stephen Lawhead right before getting on the plane to Edinburgh.
I got to our B&B in Edinburgh at around noon and mom, Barb, and Michael were all asleep…Michael finally answered a door after much banging and I wandering into the room and collapsed in a heap for a couple of hours. Around 3 we left and went into the city. I did a little art-centered meandering on my own while they soaked up local culture stuff.
The surprise of the day was that I ran into Henriette, the Dutch girl who I met at RGU, while I was walking down Princes Street. We talked for a few minutes; she finished her classes about 1.5 weeks ago and is now on vacation with her mom and dad - everyone had to move out of the dorms by today, so I don’t know if any of my flatmates got my e-mailed warning from yesterday that I’d be in the country for a while…on the positive side, our Irish tour includes stuff in County Claire which is were Paula is from, so maybe she’ll be able to swing by during that leg of the trip.
In a sharp contrast to my time in Scotland last semester, the sun didn’t set until after 9pm and the sky was still light at 10, so that was a little odd. Everyone else went to sleep a few hours ago, but I’ve been typing random things like a maniac for a while and figured I should start writing this whole travel journal thing too. Anyhow, tomorrow it’s off to Inverness.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home