Monday, July 24, 2006

Macy's, Layouts, and Stereotypes...

So I spent a chunk of time on Saturday afternoon scooping out different knife brands and trying to decide what kind of knife set I wanted to get. For it's size, Boston has surprisingly poor diversity in terms of knife stores. Anyhow, one stop on my journey was a Macy's near Downtown Crossing. I'm looking for cooking knifes, so those would naturally be in kitchen supplies/housewares...which would of course be in the basement. So what confronts me as I get off the escalator? Bras bras and more bras. Then women's clothing. Then housewares. Given how much thought probably goes into the layout of these chain stores, I'm sure Macy's did some research to justify how its laid out, but still...it definitely hit me in the face that they strongly suspected that women were going to be heading to housewares and kitchen supplies and thus they wanted other products that women might want to buy as they wandered by.

In other news, I went to Emma's first professional play last night (Rhinoceros / Rinoceronte
by Eugene Ionesco) and then hung out with Emma and Tori (a friend of Emma's from IMSA who just graduated from Wellesley). We watched Forever Young with Mel Gibson which was pretty good. This afternoon Christie, Jon, and I went out for lunch and watched a movie. Jon's dropping Christie off at the bus to NYC now and then we're going to game for a couple of hours. Oh and so I'm writing this from Olin. In fact from the 4th floor N suite in East Hall...which has morphed into the nerd suite for the summer...it's rather interesting. But yah...strange to be back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home