Tour to the Isle of Skye
We took an all-day tour to the Isle of Skye today.
We stopped by the ruins of Eilean Donan Castle. It was moderately interesting, but not spectacular…A good camera shot from the outside, but inside it just seemed really cramped and like a glorified townhouse.
On Skye, we stopped by the Donald Clan Center which includes some castle ruins and a pretty interesting historical museum that covers much of the history of the North Western lands.
We took a ferry to get back to the “mainland” of Scotland, it was pretty interesting from an engineering perspective because the cargo/transport area was on some sort of bearing so that it could be rotated by hand - it’s pretty hard to explain without a photo, but it was pretty neat. The ferry owners had a cute black dog, so we got to pet him during our crossing. I think we saw an otter and *might* have snagged a picture of it.
My mom told me an interesting theory of what happens when I come home after a semester at Olin, I basically collapse and sleep 12 hours per day for the first 3-4 days, but am still in a comatose state, then for the next 3-4 days I’m slightly more alert but still suffering from a lack of the adrenalin and energy that comes from being at Olin…That plus the cold that I’m trying to fight off right now, might explain my general lack of energy at the present time - I slept during most of the bus riding today and still could barely stay awake during dinner. I hope I become conscious soon…
I managed to check my e-mail for 10 minutes this morning and another 20 tonight, so I got a message out to Joles saying that I got here okay and was able to wade through the 48 e-mails that I’d received in the past 72 hours ( ::slightly curses mailing lists:: ).
When I wasn’t asleep on the bus, I was able to get a ton of great views of Scotland’s rolling hills, lochs, and glens. It really is a lovely country; we had a mixed blessing with the weather because though it was generally continuously overcast with a mild drizzle, we managed to avoid any downpours during the trip and though the hills were shrouded in mist, we could still see them and (more importantly) get photographs. I’ve taken a few more than 100 pics so far; Uncle Michael was commenting that the 75 shots he can take with his digital camera is more than he could possibly use - an attitude I find impossible to comprehend.
I finished “Hope in the Dark” and started reading the next book in the Pendragon Cycle (Merlin); not sure if I’m sold on it right now, but it appears that I’m stuck with either this or 7 Habits of Highly Effective People since all my other books were mailed to DC direct…though it just occurs to me that mom’s got a hardback version of Friedman’s new “The World is Flat” so I need to swipe that from her…
Tomorrow is more time in Inverness where our activities are dependent on the whether. Oh and it’s still freezing here; even when it’s not raining. Scotland, it’s like Oregon except colder.
We stopped by the ruins of Eilean Donan Castle. It was moderately interesting, but not spectacular…A good camera shot from the outside, but inside it just seemed really cramped and like a glorified townhouse.
On Skye, we stopped by the Donald Clan Center which includes some castle ruins and a pretty interesting historical museum that covers much of the history of the North Western lands.
We took a ferry to get back to the “mainland” of Scotland, it was pretty interesting from an engineering perspective because the cargo/transport area was on some sort of bearing so that it could be rotated by hand - it’s pretty hard to explain without a photo, but it was pretty neat. The ferry owners had a cute black dog, so we got to pet him during our crossing. I think we saw an otter and *might* have snagged a picture of it.
My mom told me an interesting theory of what happens when I come home after a semester at Olin, I basically collapse and sleep 12 hours per day for the first 3-4 days, but am still in a comatose state, then for the next 3-4 days I’m slightly more alert but still suffering from a lack of the adrenalin and energy that comes from being at Olin…That plus the cold that I’m trying to fight off right now, might explain my general lack of energy at the present time - I slept during most of the bus riding today and still could barely stay awake during dinner. I hope I become conscious soon…
I managed to check my e-mail for 10 minutes this morning and another 20 tonight, so I got a message out to Joles saying that I got here okay and was able to wade through the 48 e-mails that I’d received in the past 72 hours ( ::slightly curses mailing lists:: ).
When I wasn’t asleep on the bus, I was able to get a ton of great views of Scotland’s rolling hills, lochs, and glens. It really is a lovely country; we had a mixed blessing with the weather because though it was generally continuously overcast with a mild drizzle, we managed to avoid any downpours during the trip and though the hills were shrouded in mist, we could still see them and (more importantly) get photographs. I’ve taken a few more than 100 pics so far; Uncle Michael was commenting that the 75 shots he can take with his digital camera is more than he could possibly use - an attitude I find impossible to comprehend.
I finished “Hope in the Dark” and started reading the next book in the Pendragon Cycle (Merlin); not sure if I’m sold on it right now, but it appears that I’m stuck with either this or 7 Habits of Highly Effective People since all my other books were mailed to DC direct…though it just occurs to me that mom’s got a hardback version of Friedman’s new “The World is Flat” so I need to swipe that from her…
Tomorrow is more time in Inverness where our activities are dependent on the whether. Oh and it’s still freezing here; even when it’s not raining. Scotland, it’s like Oregon except colder.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home