Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Funny the flavors you miss

So when I was much younger. My favorite way to eat pasta was with a little bit of butter (to make the cheese stick) and Kraft parmesan cheese. For some reason this sounded really good to me tonight, so I picked up the necessary supplies at Amma Nana, which is the top-level grocery store here that happens to stock the largest and best selection of western food (even if it gets pricey fast). To put it in perspective, my 3 oz container of parmesan (roughly the size of two salt shakers on top of eachother) cost 315 Rs or roughly $5.50.

Other things that I learned in this cooking enterprise (my first attempt to cook western food since arriving) is that when cooking pasta you need:
  • Medium/Large Sauce pan for boiling water/noodles (thought I had and was correct)
  • Some sort of straining device (pot lid worked)
  • Pasta (purchased bow ties at Amma Nanna tonight)
  • Parmesan cheese (purchased at Amma Nanna a while ago b/c I thought I'd want it at some point)
  • Olive oil to add to water to ensure pasta doesn't stick together (purchased at Amma Nanna tonight)
  • Butter for pasta (thought I had butter and actually had margarine that's gotten a bit too hard to be useful)
  • Wooden spoon to stir pasta (totally forgot about but there was a metal spoon that worked okay)
The result? Some excellent bow ties with parmesan that brought back good memories from childhood...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home