GRE Revelations...
So I'm cracking away at the GRE this weekend (to the abandonment of most of my other work)
Can anyone explain why the hell we have two words: eulogy and elegy that mean nearly the exact same thing...so a speech or a poem...do we really need both?
Also I've always heard the phrases: "Aid and abet" in the context of helping a criminal and "prim and proper" in the context of describing someone who was somewhat stuck up...it turns out that abet means to help, which I would say is the same as "aid" and prim means basically excessively proper. Just seems bizarre to me that both phrases effectively involve saying the the same thing twice...
Can anyone explain why the hell we have two words: eulogy and elegy that mean nearly the exact same thing...so a speech or a poem...do we really need both?
Also I've always heard the phrases: "Aid and abet" in the context of helping a criminal and "prim and proper" in the context of describing someone who was somewhat stuck up...it turns out that abet means to help, which I would say is the same as "aid" and prim means basically excessively proper. Just seems bizarre to me that both phrases effectively involve saying the the same thing twice...
I wonder if when the artist named Odie he was thinking of the word odious?
Back to studying...Emma's play at Wellesley is tonight, then Kat's birthday and probably a little more studying...at least one practice test tomorrow afternoon...
Test is on Monday afternoon, then Mike and I go to pick up our Civ IV copies...

3 Comments:
UMMM...WTF?
UMMM...WTF?
Joles
"cease and desist"
Post a Comment
<< Home