Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pondering working hours

After leaving work a few minutes after 9pm tonight and finishing an overly spicy Raju dinner (sidenote: that's the first thing I should learn in Hindi) around 10:30, I'm starting to wonder if I would ever know what to do with myself if I actually had a normal 9-5 job. It doesn't help that I have bursts of extreme productivity around 7 or 8 on a typical day, but it's just amazing how fast the days fly by here.

(Mental note that I've been here for more than a month as of 5 days ago)

We're also talking about shifting our team's hours so we'll overlap with the US more We might make 8pm (or later) the typical end-time until Daylight Savings screws us up by making us 10.5 hours ahead of EST (so 9am becomes 7:30pm) on November 2nd. So that'll just be more incentive to work later. I guess I could start shifting my hours in the office to start later, but it seems strange to come in after 10 or 11 and I usually make good use of that time catching up on all the state-side e-mails from the later part of the day. The problem is that transit + work is beginning to consistently consume ~11/12 hours per day when I work until 9ish and that's started to make me irritable. A fact which I seem to be taking out on the people in the office and/or the universe in the form of, as Mike Foss describes them, "Will Sighs".

Anyhow, I suppose this isn't all that exciting to read, but it's something that's currently on my mind...now back to the work that I couldn't do without internet earlier in the day :-/.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kimble said...

What would you do with the extra time if you were stateside? Would you read? Exercise? Meet up with people? Or have you always been a workaholic? We can send you things from here to keep you occupied if you let us know what.

On a more fundamental level - welcome to contemplating work-life balance. This will be a running theme for the rest of your life.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA. Welcome to my world! It's such a love/hate thing...

Just think, if you were working only 8 hours a day you would have extra time to do awesome things like boil milk and spend time contemplating how much more fun it would be to be able to work for 12 hours a day (remember back when you were actually JEALOUS of that). :)

Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home